Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Pink's Pizza

Pink's Pizza is a take-out pizza joint on Heights Boulevard. It is owned and managed by the same guy as Dragon Bowl. His name is Ken. When I visited yesterday afternoon, Ken was making the pizzas.

Dragon Bowl was a smart move for Ken. The Heights needs Asian restaurants. And a quirky Asian restaurant like Dragon Bowl makes sense.

But the Heights already has two of Houston's best pizza joints: Star Pizza, which has the best deep dish crust and spinach pizzas in town, and Candelari's, which has the best Italian sausage topping in town. Does the Heights need more pizza?

Fortunately for Pink's, it fills a unique niche -- pizzas with creative toppings. You can tell how much fun these pizzas are just by reading the menu. Some of my favorites listings are:

Southwestern - cheddar and mozzarella, BBQ marinated chicken breast, red onion, jalapeno.

Mediterranean - garlic and olive oil, feta, sun dried tomatoes, onions, black olives, marinated artichokes, chicken breast, and fresh tomatoes

Double Down - rosemary chicken, bacon, mozzarella, spinach, tomato, roasted garlic, alfredo sauce

Santa Monica - gorgonzola, mozzarella, prosciutto, eggplant, marinated artichoke, sun dried tomato, and cranberry

Ken takes great care making the crusts by hand -- spinning dough in the air and then running an odd device over the crust to create small holes in it. The resulting crust is standard thickness, but quite good. The ingredients are all good quality. And these unusual toppings actually work.

Pink's will not run Star Pizza or Candelari's out of business. But it creates some interesting competition in Houston's best neighborhood for pizza.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Off topic, but I was wondering if you or Epicurus were able to hit any of the restaurants during truffle season. I'd love to hear a review. I unfortunately missed out, but I was a bit hesitant after having delicious truffle dishes in Italy.

anonymouseater said...

Hi Issa.

I really enjoy truffles, but I have not had any this season.

The last fresh truffles I had in Houston were at Tony's, but the dish was only so-so.

I plan to go to Tuscany in the spring, but that will be too late.

anonymouseater said...

On Dec. 15, I had fresh black truffles at Bice. I plan to write about it soon.

muebles mostoles said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I believe.